If You Don’t Ask, You Don’t Get…

#QuoteOfTheDay: people would rather talk about their entire sexual history than how much they earn….!
Tonight I went to an event in London on ‘Negotiating The Gender Pay Gap’ there were some really interesting facts about men earning 14.2% more than women doing the same jobs, and that male graduates tend to ask for a better starting salary than female graduates but the key for me is that 31% of people leave their jobs due to their salary. However, for a lot of companies, the cost of losing someone and having to recruit and train someone new – can often outweigh the cost of just rewarding the original person fairly to start with.
A lot of people, regardless of gender, aren’t happy with their pay but don’t have the confidence to ask for a payrise. So here are the top tips I took away on negotiation:
Be confident – Don’t apologise before you’ve even started talking ie ‘sorry to bother you’…. ‘I know you’re busy’….. instead start the conversation with ‘I’d like to have a meeting to discuss my pay’ or ‘I believe I’m underpaid and here’s why’….  

Don’t focus on what people will think of you – Kids are great at negotiating! Do you think my 5 year old cares in the slightest what I think of her when she’s saying ‘pleeeeeeeeease’ in my face for the 100th time to watch an episode of Peppa Pig?! – but you know more often than not I’ll crack!!!

Plan, Plan, Plan – do your research, think about their view point, what questions will they have, what’s their agenda.

Know what you want – Be clear in your head what you actually want. Also, what is your lowest figure? And don’t forget to pitch higher than you actually want so that you can negotiate and still win!

Anchor – This is a new one to me – but whoever goes first by putting their starting figure into the negotiation is 82% more likely to get the result that they want…. I suppose it makes sense that the person who goes first sets the ‘ball park’ of the figures that will undoubtedly follow in the negotiation.

Ask why – Don’t take no as the first answer, If you don’t get the answer you want, ask questions to understand the rationale, if you’ve planned enough in the first place you should be able to answer a lot of the queries.

And lastly… What’s the worst than can happen….? 

So please use the tips above and take the plunge….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objective, Strategy, Tactics

10 ways to ensure you don’t burn out and how to appear to ‘have it all’!

My Top 2 Interview Tips