I'll Tell You What I Want....

Sometimes you know what you want but you're not too sure how to achieve it... We all struggle with this at times so hopefully this model, or way of thinking will help you.

The trick is to break it down into your VisionGoals and Strategy.

When I was first told about this concept, it was explained to me as, the Vision is to win the war, the Goal is to win 3 battles and the Strategy is to attack first and don't surrender!!

Although work can sometimes feel like a battle! I thought I'd bring it to life with an example of wanting to appear more like a leader to help with your next promotion - a real example that a friend recently came to me with...

So let's start with Visionwhat is it that you want to achieve? ie demonstrate that you're a leader.

Next are your Goals, try not to have too many but think about what it is you need to do to achieve your ambition? ie,1. Make decisions objectively 2. Give clear direction 3. Shape other people's ideas.

And the last step is your Strategy, or an easier way to think of it is your To Do List and Not To Do List!.. ie When asked my opinion make a decisive statement, talk confidently and don't use language like 'I'm not sure'.

I always think it's important to think about your Barrierswhat could get in the way of you achieving your vision? Like 'I like helping people'. Recognise the barrier but remain true to yourself, you wouldn't necessarily want to become someone who says no all the time but instead of doing it yourself, you could point them in the direction of someone else who can help.

I've used this model a few times now and it's amazing how many different things you can apply it to. So think about what you really, really want and break it down into clear elements that you can stick to!...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objective, Strategy, Tactics

10 ways to ensure you don’t burn out and how to appear to ‘have it all’!

My Top 2 Interview Tips