Life tastes better with balance... You need just the right amount of rum, lime and sugar...

I recently wrote a blog about balance and how to find out what balance means to you... Which prompted a conversation with a friend on how does 'one' actually find balance?...

My favourite cocktail is a Caipirinha... To make it, you just need Cachaca (white rum), lime, sugar and ice... The right balance of all and it tastes amazing... Get the balance wrong and it's really not good!!

I work full time and have 2 lovely little girls who are always full of energy! And I try really hard to balance work and motherhood (plus have time to go out for cocktails with the girls every so often)!

It is important to me that I am the best I possibly can be, at whatever I do, whether I’m at work or at home. I need to feel that I am the best possible version of me. 

I love my job but I also love being a mum, as I said, I have 2 girls who are 2 and 5 - don’t get me wrong, it can be hard work coping with early morning wake ups and the terrible two's! But I don't believe I have to choose between motherhood and a career.

The role I have is quite demanding but for me it’s all about balance and choosing in life what I will and won’t compromise on. When I first went back to work after maternity leave for me, it was imperative that I would be the one, not my husband, who would collect my daughter from nursery every day, which meant I had to leave the office by absolutely no later than 5.30pm every day. Before having kids I would rarely leave the office before 7.30pm and I didn’t know how I’d manage leaving ‘early’ but for me it was a non-negotiable… 

Think about what you're trying to balance and what 'good' looks like for you.
What are your non negotiables?
What won't you compromise on?

To do this ‘non-negotiable’ I make sure that when I’m at work, I’m ‘at work’ 100% - between the hours of 9 to 5.30 I constantly reprioritise.  When it comes to people, my team are most important, followed by my manager, other people have to wait if I’m busy. I am also constantly challenging myself on what meetings I go to and if I really believe I will or others will get something extra from me being there. Will I shape, drive or influence the conversation or decision?

What are the things that you will prioritise?
What are the things that you get involved in on a day to day basis that will really make a difference?

When I'm with my girls from 6pm that’s it. No more emails or thinking about work until they're in bed, and even then for my own sanity, apart from when I have the odd deadline, I‘ll read, but not reply to, my emails on my phone and that’s it. I encourage my team to switch off when they go home.  As a manager I lead by example, I try not to email my team out of hours and I expect them to follow suit.

I truly believe that you have to properly switch off when you’re not at work to feel like you’re doing a good job at home.

So by prioritising and deciding what your non negotiables are, hopefully you can achieve the balance that is right for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objective, Strategy, Tactics

10 ways to ensure you don’t burn out and how to appear to ‘have it all’!

My Top 2 Interview Tips